Gearing Your Rogue, The 3.2 Way
August 6, 2009 33 Comments
I received a reader email recently presenting an idea of working up some sort of guide to help freshly leveled 80 Rogues figure out what to look for in gear, etc. I started working on the post, but when the Rogue Q & A came out, I focused my attention on it.
Now that Call of the Crusade (3.2 as most people I know call it) has arrived, players have an easier time obtaining some gear levels that previously required extensive raiding to obtain. Today I’ll discuss with you where you can quickly gear out a fresh level 80 Rogue, or even upgrade some of the gear on your veteran 80 Rogue.
– Trial of the Champion –
The new 5 man instance in its normal level has gear that is equivalent to the items you would find in the 10 man version of Naxxramus and The Obsidian Sanctum. It’s not incredibly difficult and it is the fastest instance to run, as there’s no trash. If you can get a group together to run it multiple times, you could clear it 3 times in an hour. In that time, fifteen ilevel 200 Epics will drop (great way to farm Abyss Crystals btw).
The loot table for this instance is pretty large, offering up several pieces of gear for everyone. Here’s a list of some of the items you could snag for your Rogue:
- Dagger – Black Knight’s Rondel (added in 3.2.2)
- Hands – Gloves of the Argent Fanatic
- Legs – Leggings of Brazen Tresspass
- Shoulders – Shoulderpads of the Infamous Knave
- Belt – Belt of Fierce Competition
- Back – Drape of the Undefeated*
- Finger – Uruka’s Band of Zeal
- Trinket – Banner of Victory
* Note that this cape is itemized for Plate DPS wearers. However, if no one in your group needs it, it may still be an upgrade for you.
If you can get a group for Heroic mode, Ulduar 10 level gear will be your reward. I actually replaced my neck item on Tuesday with the one that drops here. Also note that the Heroic mode drops Champion’s Seals as well as Emblems of Conquest.
Again, the loot table is large, but here are the items a Rogue might be interested in:
- Ranged – True-Aim Long Rifle
- Mace – Aledar’s Battlestar
- Feet – Treads of Dismal Fortune
- Head – Mask of Distant Memory
- Wrist – Armbands of the Wary Lookout
- Neck – Ancient Pendant of Arathor
– Other Heroics & Emblem of Conquest –
Trial of the Crusader isn’t the only Heroic worth running. As you’ve probably are aware of, all Heroic instances drop Emblems of Conquest now. In addition, the daily dungeon quest provides two additional Emblems of Conquest, while the Heroic daily gives two of the latest Emblem, called Triumph.
Using your Emblems of Conquest, you could purchase the following Ulduar 25 level gear:
- Neck, 19 Emblems – Broach of the Wailing Night
- Belt, 28 Emblems – Belt of the Twilight Assassin
- Gloves, 28 Emblems – Gloves of the Blind Stalker
- Legs, 39 Emblems – Leggings of Wavering Shadow
- 58 Emblems – Tier 8 Chest
- 58 Emblems – Tier 8 Helm
In addition to the Emblem gear, here are some other epic gear that might drop while you’re farming badges:
Culling of Stratholme – Fist, Greed
Gundrak – Ring, Hemorrhaging Circle
Gundrak – Legs, Gored Hide Leggards
Halls of Lightning – Wrists, Advanced Tooled Leather Bands
Halls of Stone – Dagger, The Fleshshaper
Utgarde Keep – Waist, Sharp-Barbed Leather Belt
Utgarde Keep – Drake-Mounted Crossbow
Utgarde Pinnacle – Hands, Gilt-Edged Leather Gauntlets
– Argent Tournament –
The Argent Tournament has a few good starter weapons for you. For 25 Champion Seals you can pick up any of the following:
– Putting it All Together –
If you spend a few hours a night for a week, with luck you’ll be close to a full epic set of gear. As far as weaponry goes, if you’re Assassination, using the Dagger of the Rising Moon as your main hand and The Fleshshaper as your offhand. Greed is a solid main hand choice for Combat, while either of the daggers would be a good choice for an offhand.
Unfortunately, just getting gear isn’t enough. I posted this back during BC to make a point. Enchants and gems are a big part of your DPS. However, it’s going to have to wait for another day to be posted here. So stay tuned for Enchants and Gems, The 3.2 Way, including both budget gems and enchants, as well as maximizing your gear.