4.0 First Impressions
October 13, 2010 10 Comments
The server was up soon enough for me to work on some of my goals, but not much else. I didn’t have time to run any instances or raids and really test anything out properly. I did, however, get my talents put in and get a general feel for some of the changes.
- I love the change to the combat point system. If you haven’t tried this out yet, you can use the combo points that used to be wasted when a mob dies on Slice and Dice or our new heal, Recuperate. You don’t even have to target the old mob to do it either.
- Speaking of Recuperate, it’s a great ability for those of us soloing things and working on pre-wrath achieves. I couldn’t solo all the heroics before the patch because I lacked the heals to get past certain situations. That’s not an issue any longer. For my soloing / leveling spec, Recuperate heals 5% of my health ever 3 seconds, or 50% every 30 seconds.
- I’m still figuring out the nuances of the revamped Assassination play style. My most basic advice would be to get Slice and Dice active, keep Rupture up and Envenom for 4+ combo points otherwise.
- Expose Armor is now something a Rogue can keep up with less effort if they are Assassination. All combo points spent will be refreshed if you spec 2/2 Improved Expose Armor
- Someone mentioned in vent at least once every 5 minutes that the “water looks amazing.” I concur.
- I was pulling about 7k dps unbuffed on a combat dummy in Ironforge without having an optimal spec or rotation. I think with some tweaking, I’ll be looking at 2-3k increased damage across the board. What that translates to at level 85 is anyone’s guess
I’m not quite ready to write a guide yet, and even Elitist Jerks isn’t quite sure what the “best” specs are yet. I will, however, share with you the two that I’m currently trying. Again, these aren’t perfect, and I’ll probably tweak them some, but in my opinion, they’re good starting points for now.
Well, that pretty much covers anything that I’ve actually had time to look at. I won’t get much opportunity to play tonight, but the guild wants to try a raid on Thursday so I should have more information then. If there’s anything that you’re particularly interested in knowing about, let me know in the comments section, and I’ll have a look when I can.