Upcoming & Exciting Rogue Changes
February 24, 2010 23 Comments
The preliminary notes for the next patch have been released and there are some interesting tidbits for Rogues:
- Rupture: The damage-over-time component of this ability can now produce critical strikes.
- Filthy Tricks: Now Reduces the cooldown by 5/10 seconds and energy cost by 5/10 of Tricks of the Trade, Distract and Shadowstep abilities, and reduces the cooldown of Preparation by 1.5/3 minutes.
- Ghostly Strike: If the rogue has a dagger equipped, this ability now deals 180% weapon damage instead of 125%.
- Hemorrhage: If the rogue has a dagger equipped, this ability now deals 160% weapon damage instead of 110%.
- Slaughter from the Shadows: Now adds 1/2/3/4/5% damage to all attacks in addition to its current effects.
- Waylay: The debuff from this talent can now be caused by Backstab in addition to Ambush.
I’ll talk about Subtlety first. Looking at these changes, I’m thinking that leveling Subtlety will be even faster than the other two specs. It’s already (my opinion here) the most fun. I might level another Rogue on a different server when this patch hits to try it out. Fixing Hemo, and to a lesser extent Ghostly Strike makes Subtlety more attractive spec for people looking to solo or PvP as well.
I’m not sure that it has been buffed to the point of making it comparable to the other specs in terms of raid viability, but, it should certainly hold its own. Besides, Blizzard has clearly stated that Subtlety has too much utility to make it the strongest tree. Doing so would probably convert a majority of Rogues to play Subtlety, and Blizzard frowns on that.
As for the general change to Rupture, I can only say “Thank you” to Blizzard. As much as I love the damage output I’ve got right now, the spec is far too simple to play. Once I get Slice and Dice and Hunger for Blood up, all I ever have to do is Mutilate to 4-5 combo points and Envenom. I almost always have another player putting a bleed effect up, so replacing Hunger for Blood is really easy. I haven’t done the math, but with Rupture gaining the ability to crit, it’s entirely plausible that using it in the rotation will be better than leaving it out as most Rogues have been since 3.3 hit.
I’m not one for hitting the PTR, but for this patch and its many changes, I might make an exception. Also, I was serious about that second Rogue too. If these changes go through, I’ll be looking for a second home to play on. Maybe that server will be yours. I’m always open to suggestions.